Skip to content

Overy Clyde Buck

/* Font Definitions */
{font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";
panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;
mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;}
{font-family:"@Arial Unicode MS";
panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;
mso-font-signature:-1 -369098753 63 0 4129279 0;}
/* Style Definitions */
p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal
font-family:"Times New Roman";
mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";}
font-family:"Arial Unicode MS";}
@page Section1
{size:8.5in 11.0in;
margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in;

Orvey Clyde Buck, age 97, of Rockford, IL, passed away quietly on Friday,
July 17, 2009, in Rockford Illinois.

He was born March 7, 1912 in Clark County, MO, near St. Patrick, a son of
Orvey Clayton and Jenny Pearl Jones Buck.

Starting life on a small farm near St. Patrick, Missouri, he moved with his
family to Kahoka in 1918, a place he called home even after starting his own
family. Clyde was the third of six children: George Amos, Myrta Mae, Orvey
Clyde, Naomi Pearl, John (Jack) Dwight, and Harry Quentin Buck. After his
father’s passing, Clyde preferred to use his first name, Orvey.

Photography sustained him during the period from completion of high school
until he joined the army in 1944. For two years he attended Culver-Stockton
College at Canton, MO. In 1935, he was joined in wedlock to Florence Myrtle
Brotherton of Ashton, Missouri. To this union were born three children: Joyce
Eldene, Mary Jo, and Keith Edward.

During WWII, Clyde served his country with the U.S. Army Signal Corps, stationed
on Okinawa. With the end of hostilities, he studied law at Drake University and
subsequently opened a law practice at Keosauqua, IA. In Keosauqua, he enjoyed
life. In particular he enjoyed his freedom: camping; fishing; hunting; meeting
and helping people; politics; leading the Boy Scouts; his hobby farm; and most
of all, his family. In 1970 he moved to a small farm near Lancaster, Missouri
to serve as magistrate judge for Schuyler County, a position he held until
retirement in 1978. In 1975 he was devastated by the loss of his son, Keith,
and grandson, Jimmy, followed only too shortly in 1978 by the loss of his
beloved wife, Florence.

Clyde married Nellie Reeves of Kirksville, MO, in 1980. They lived twenty
years in Springfield, MO, until her death in 2002. During this period of
retirement he traveled extensively and amused himself with writing poetry. In
2006, he moved to Loyalton Assisted Living, Rockford, IL, to be near his
daughter, Mary Jo, who lovingly cared for him in declining years.

Surviving are two siblings; Naomi Reeves of Dallas, TX and Jack Buck of
Olathe, KS; two daughters, Joyce (Stanley) Dellinger of Midland, TX and Mary Jo
(Duane) Ingram of Rockford, IL; and, daughter-in-law, Janet Buck of Des Moines,
IA; five grandchildren: Beth Edwards, Lowell and Brian Ingram, Keith Alan and
David Buck; and, twelve great grand-

children. Clyde leaves behind also a number of nieces and nephews and their
children. During his lifetime Clyde made many good friends and was known for
assisting anyone who asked.

Funeral services were held Wednesday, July 22, 2009, at 2 p.m. at the Kahoka
Christian Church preceded by a visitation at 12:30 p.m. at the church until
time of services. Officiating was Rev. Jacky Buck. Mrs. Virginia Brammer was
pianist. Special music were congregational hymns “How Great Thou Art”
and “Amazing Grace”.

Pallbearers were David Buck, Don Buck, Stan Dellinger, Duane Ingram, Lowell
Ingram and Art Spruill.

Memorials were suggested to the Kahoka Cemetery or Culver Stockton College.

Burial with Military Honors was in the Kahoka Cemetery.

Arrangements were handled by Wilson Funeral Home in Kahoka, MO.

On-line condolences may be expressed at